The Regular Category is a challenge based competition. Students must design, construct and program their robots to solve specific challenges on a field. Points are scored for completed tasks.
Regular Category characteristics:
Four age groups:
- WeDo (up to 10y), see more information below
- Elementary (up to 12y)
- Junior (13-15y)
- Senior (16-19y.)
The controller, motors and sensors used to assemble robots must be from LEGO® MINDSTORMS® sets (NXT or EV3). The HiTechnic Color Sensor is the only third-party element that can be added to this configuration. Only LEGO branded elements may be used to construct the remaining parts of the robot.
Control software for all age groups (Elementary, Junior, Senior) is open to any software and any firmware on NXT / EV3 controllers.
Maximum robot size:
25cm x 25cm x 25cm.
A surprise rule will be announced when the competition starts, to test the team’s ability to adapt their hardware or programming. (Note: some member countries have a slightly different approach to the surprise rule.)
The teams bring their robot completely disassembled. In the first part of the competition, they will have 150 minutes to assemble their robots from loose parts without instructions.
A team consists of 1 coach and 2 or 3 team members.
For all specific rules and regulations refer to the General Rules for Regular Category!
The WeDo Regular Challenge designed for younger children. The goal is for each team to build and program a WeDo robot that can complete a series of tasks within a Game Table.
- Age group: up to 10 years
- Hardware: The controller, motors and sensors used to assemble robots must be from LEGO® WeDo 2.0. Any combination of controllers, motors and sensors are allowed. Only LEGO branded elements may be used to construct the remaining parts of the robot.
- Software / Remote-Control: The robot can be controlled by any compatible device or with a remote controller built from WeDo 2.0 elements. The teams can use any software.
- Maximum robot size: 25cm x 25cm x 25cm.
- Team: A team consists of 1 coach and 2 or 3 team members.
For all specific rules and regulations refer to the rules for WeDo Regular!
If you are interested in signing up, click on the link below and we will guide you through the process.